I have partnered with El Yucateco as part or there “Go Native” 50 years of flavor summer series to make an avocado jalapeño crema. This sauce is poured over a grilled chicken fajita sandwich and is inspired by the first time I tasted the bold unique flavors of the El Yucateco Jalapeño hot sauce at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I remember ordering my favorite sizzling fajitas and topping them with sour cream, guacamole and a healthy dose of this incredible hot sauce.
For this recipe I’ve brought the flavors of the restaurant to the backyard grill with fire roasted peppers, onions and marinated chicken seared before topping with cheese and and this tangy avocado jalapeño crema featuring “El Yucateco Jalapeño Sauce.” This version of the classic fajitas is perfect for any summer cookout using the jalapeño hot sauce to give the sandwich a bold kick. Each sandwich is loaded with all your favorite fajita flavors but without the hassle of making your guests build their own plate, Its Grab, Go, Bite and Smile!
Ingredients (for the sandwich):
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 mini bell peppers
- 1 sliced red onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 4 buns (of your choice)
Ingredients (for the jalapeño avocado crema)
- 2 Tablespoon “El Yucateco” Jalapeño Sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tablespoon Avocado oil
- ⅛ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ½ tsp Tajin Clasico Seasoning
Instructions for the crema::
- Rough chop cilantro, peel and remove pit from a ripe avocado and add to a blender.
- Zest and juice a lime into the blender and add remaining ingredients
- Pulse blender until sauce is combined and smooth.
- Chill in fridge for 30 minutes before serving
- 2 tablespoon Avocado Oil
- ½ packet your favorite taco or fajita seasoning
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon “El Yucateco” Jalapeño Sauce
Instructions (grilling the chicken and sandwich assembly):
- Combine all ingredients in a storage bag along with the thighs and massage the chicken until fully coated and store in your refrigerator until time to grill.
- Grill sliced onions and mini bell peppers over direct heat until charred, wrap peppers and onions in tin foil and set aside while preparing the chicken.
- Remove chicken from storage bag and grill over direct heat flipping every 2-3 minutes until you develop a crust and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Top chicken with cheese and turn grill to low or move to indirect heat, cover grill and let cheese melt for 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble sandwich by topping chicken with onions peppers and Jalapeño Avocado Crema. Add shredded lettuce and tomato to your bun and sink your teeth into a taste of summer “Go Native” Style.
Enter the El Yucateco sweepstakes below for the chance to win a bunch of prizes.
Follow El Yucateco on these social media Platforms:
***Frank has partnered with El Yucateco Hot Sauce on this story and recipe and was compensated for his time. The recipe and all opinions expressed are his alone.***