This Best Homemade Buffalo Sauce is at your fingertips. This classic and easy sauce recipe can be ready in just 5 minutes.
Inspired by the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, this is the base buffalo sauce I’ve used in countless restaurants to make the best buffalo wing sauce – hands down.
This homemade buffalo sauce is slightly sweet and spicy, but that’s not all! The consistency of the sauce is perfect and covers the wings completely for maximum deliciousness!
Homemade Buffalo Sauce Ingredients
Hot Sauce: In order to make the buffalo sauce, you need the perfect Hot Sauce to start a solid base.
Butter: Grab 1 stick of butter – do NOT substitute with margarine, it is not the same. When using butter for this recipe, you also want to make sure your butter is hot. If it is not hot, it will not mix together well.
Honey: Honey helps the sauce get thick and sticky perfectly to your wings.
Brown Sugar: Brown Sugar does the opposite of what you may think. It does not make your sauce sweet, instead, it balances some of the acidity.
How to Make Homemade Buffalo Sauce
Heat ingredients. In a small saucepan over low heat warm up butter, honey, brown sugar, and hot sauce.
Color change. Once the butter is almost melted use a stick blender to emulsify. The color of the sauce will turn a lighter orange color and the sauce will thicken.
Stir. You can tell the sauce is perfect when you dip the back of the spoon into the sauce then drag your finger across the spoon. If the sauce holds in place then you know the sauce is the correct consistency.
Why is it called Buffalo Sauce
Did you know the name itself has nothing to do with actual buffalo or bison?!
Albeit shocking to most people, the true credit goes to a family-owned restaurant called Anchor Bar located in Buffalo, New York.
How to Make your Homemade Buffalo Sauce Hotter
Kick it up a notch!
This homemade buffalo sauce is what I would consider “medium” spicy.
If you are looking to really boost that spicy factor, add cayenne pepper slowly. Taste test while adding to ensure you don’t make it too spicy.
PRO-TIP: It’s easy to add, it’s hard to take away.
What to Pair with your Homemade Bufflao Sauce
There are so many different uses for buffalo sauce! Looking for some inspiration on how to use it, consider some of my favorite options:
- Dip for Grilled French Fries
- Marinade for chicken breasts
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Dip for potatoes
- Buffalo Garlic Parmesan Wings
- The sauce to a homemade buffalo pizza
- Dizzled over mac and cheese
How to Store Buffalo Sauce
Store your sauce in an airtight container or mason jar in the fridge. Your sauce will stay for about 1 month.
Remember, to shake your sauce before use.
More Sauce Recipes you will Love
The sauce makes a lot of dishes really sing – check out and save these other incredible sauce recipes!
- Easy Mississippi Comeback Sauce Recipe
- Southwestern Ranch Dipping Sauce
- Homemade Imperial Stout BBQ Sauce
- Deep Fried Oysters W/ Remoulade Dipping Sauce
- Bang bang shrimp sauce
Best Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 24 oz Hot Sauce
- 1 stick Butter
- ½ Cup Honey
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- In a small sauce pan over low heat warm up butter, honey, brown sugar and hot sauce.
- Once the butter is almost melted use a stick blender to emulsify. The color of the sauce will turn a lighter orange color and the sauce will thicken.
- You can tell the sauce is perfect when you dip the back of the spoon into the sauce then drag your finger across the spoon. If the sauce holds in place then you know the sauce is the correct consistency.
Leave a Reply