Mississippi Comeback Sauce is an easy to make dipping sauce thats gonna have you coming back for more…Hence the name!!
Every region has their favorite sauce for dipping but in Mississippi and other parts of the south comeback sauce is the dip of choice when it comes to fries, chicken tenders, onion rings and more
I first heard of this amazing sauce from Badass Mississippi Pit Master Melissa Cookston and knew I had to create my own version to have at home.
How to Make Mississippi Comeback Sauce
Its a pretty simple process, you basically just add all your ingredients to a bowl and whisk.
You can pull out a stick blender or use a food processor as well but because all the ingredients are already smooth I feel like you’re just dirtying extra stuff.
Work smart not hard that what I always tell myself, I just don’t always listen.
- Mayonnaise: We use Dukes Mayo at my house but you can use any variety you like.
- Ketchup: If you want to cut down on the carbs you can use a sugar free ketchup
- Dijon Mustard: I like the extra flavor of dijon but some recipes do use yellow ballpark mustard
- Paprika: Use a smoked paprika to add that depth to the sauce
- Pickle Juice: Use a dill pickle juice that you like. You can also use pepperoncini juice for an extra kick
- Hot Sauce: Im a fan of Texas Pete but Tabasco or Crystal are also tasty
- Honey: Adds a little sweetness to balance the richness of the mayo
- Parsley (optional) : adds color and a slight herbaceous element
- Pimentos (optional) : adds body and color to the sauce
Pro Tips and Variations
Storage: Mississippi Comeback sauce will last 4-6 weeks in the fridge in a sealed container.
Squeeze Bottles: Since I spent the better part of my career in professional kitchens old habits die hard and I store all my favorite condiments in Squeeze bottles for easy access.
Spice it up: You can add any seasoning that you like to your sauce, Adding your favorite dry rub adds a lot of flavor to the comeback sauce
A little healthier: You can cut the calories and fat down by using a light mayo and sugar free ketchup. Skip the honey as well if you want to make this a low carb condiment.
Frequently Asked Questions
The main difference between the two condiments is that comeback sauce has mustard and tends to be slightly sweeter than fry sauce that is basically ketchup and mayo with seasonings
It can be, Simply omit the honey or use a keto friendly sweetener in its place and the comeback sauce will be keto friendly.
Well, from every story I’ve heard its called comeback sauce because once you take a bite you’ll be coming back for more.
More Recipes You Will Love
Mississipi Comeback Sauce
- Add all ingredients to a blender or into a container and blend until smooth. If you prefer a more rustic texture simply whisk ingredients to leave some chunks.