Denver steak may be new to the grilling scene but don’t sleep an this incredibly tender and affordable cut of beef. Paired with a tangy herbaceous Thai style chimichurri this dish will blow the doors off your taste buds
Looking for more tips for grilling checkout How long to grill a steak on a charcoal grill – The rule of threes
What is a Denver Steak?
a Denver Steak comes from the super shoulder of the cow located on the chuck. Denver steak is also referred to as a Chuck Steak. Blade Steak, Center Blade or Zabuton Steak. This cut of beef is extremely tender and best served rare or mid rare. Cooking in a hot pan over high heat is my preferred method for cooking Denver Steaks.
Step By Step Instructions for Searing Denver Steak
- Season steak with salt only generously on both sides
- Heat a pan over high heat with clarified butter (ghee) or avocado oil
- Place steak in the pan laying the steak away from you to prevent burning yourself
- Next flip the steak and sear on the other side for 90 seconds
- Drop the heat to low and tilt the pan to pool the fat at the bottom
- Add a few cloves of garlic and thyme as well as a few tbsp of butter
- Using a spoon baste the steak with the fat for about 30 seconds
- Finally remove the steak from the pan to rest for 5 minutes
- Slice thinly against the grains and serve
Denver Steak Cut
The Denver Steak Cut itself has only been around a short time and is unfamiliar to many steak enthusiasts. There’s no interesting story on the Denver steaks name origin other then a bunch of beef producers did a bunch of market research and decided that Denver steak sounded way cooler than Zabuton.
Basically its all about a way to market a cheaper cut of beef to customers but don’t let that stop you. This cut is outstanding and as it grows in popularity it is quickly becoming a favorite among grillers nationwide.
How to Cook Wagyu Steak
Wagyu Steaks should be cooked over high heat as well because of the deep marbling and higher fat content. Wagyu Steaks should only be cooked rare or mid rare. If you prefer medium or above I would recommend a lower less expensive grade of beef. The only wagyu beef that should be cooked longer would be larger cuts like brisket, chuck roasts and short ribs
How are Wagyu Steaks Graded?
Wagyu Steaks are given a grade of 1-5 with one being the poorest quality and 5 being the best. So if you have ever heard anyone brag about having A5 Wagyu that’s because its the highest quality wagyu beef.
Australian Steaks are graded on a similar scale but the highest number score is 9. For a more in depth read on this checkout this article from Steak University
Best Pans For Searing Steak
I am a big fan of using carbon steel pans for high heat searing. Cast iron also works well but I find they take a while to heat up. Carbon steel gives you the searing ability but takes a fraction of the time to heat up and cool down. Avoid searing with a nonstick pan due to the fact that they are not designed for high heat cooking.
Thai Style Chimichurri
Because I have to always put a little twist on things I wanted to put a thai style twist on the traditional chimichurri. Commonly Thai cuisine is loaded with big flavors like Garlic, ginger, chilis and lime. These flavors bring an acidic freshness to the Denver steak without overpowering the beef. Heres a list of what you’ll need to make this Thai style Chimichurri.
I used a mortar and pestle for preparing the chimichurri because I wanted a chunky rustic texture but this can also be made using a food processor. Mortar and pestles are great for releasing the flavors in garlic and ginger making it a great tool to have around.
- Thai Chilis or red pepper
- red onion or shallot
- sesame oil
- avocado oil
- fish sauce
- Chili Crisp
- Parsley or cilantro
More Beef Recipes you will Love
- Perfect Pellet Grill Smoked Prime Rib Roast
- Smoked Beef Brisket: Tips and Tricks
- Meatball Parmesan Casserole
- Smoked Eye Round w/ Beef Au Jus
- Texas Style Beef Ribs: Rec Tec Pellet Smoker Recipe
- Rotisserie Prime Rib using a Weber Kettle
- Reverse Sear Tomahawk Ribeye w/ Chanterelle Mushroom Cream Sauce
Do you have Knife Envy of My Serbian Chef Knife?
Thai Style Chimichurri
- mortor and pestle or food processor
- Chop up garlic and ginger then add salt to a mortar and pestle and start mashing into a paste. Next add your chopped onions, red chilis and scallions. Mash those ingredients as well.
- Pour in the juice of 1 lime, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, fish sauce and chilil crisp. then fold in your chopped parsley and stir until fully combined. Add avocado oil and stir again.
Subscribe to our newsletter!