An easy method for grilling New York Strip Steaks on a Charcoal Grill. Keep it simple and season it up right, Dont overthink it.
New York Strip Steaks are on of the most popular cuts of beef because its the perfect balance of tenderness and beefy flavor. Its Leaner then a ribeye but has more fat than a Filet.
Best New York Strip Steak Recipe
New York Strips Steaks are a great steak to grill because it doesn’t require any complicated cooking methods or tricks. Keep it simple and grill it up.
All you need to do is season it with salt & Pepper, Get your Charcoal grill hot and sear that steak to the temperature you prefer.
What to look for When Buying New York Strip Steaks
When purchasing a New York strip teak make sure to ask the butcher for a center cut.
The Steak should have good marbling and a bright red color. If the steak looks grey or off colored that a good sign that the steak is not fresh and has begun to oxidize.
Grades of New York Strip Steaks
A Wagyu Strip Steak is gonna be the best quality but its also the most expensive by a lot. Prime is also a fantastic premium quality that’s a bit more affordable and available locally.
After that we move dow to Choice and then Select. Both are still good steaks but they will be less tender then Wagyu or Prime New York Strip Steaks.
My best recommendation is buy the best steak you can afford. if its just a Tuesday night select or choice will due just fine but if its a special occasion or you want to impress you should treat yourself to a premium steak every once in a while.
My Method For Grilling New York Strip Steaks
Sometimes I’m in the mood for a really simple steak. Today was a salt and pepper day. I simply sprinkled salt and pepper on both sides of my huge steak.
Use a good quality Kosher salt and a coarse ground pepper. none of that table salt for a beautiful steak like this.
Once my grill was heated to the appropriate temperature I added my steak over direct heat. Make sure you have a probe thermometer on hand to monitor the temperature of the steaks throughout the grilling process.
For more info on how to grill on charcoal checkout my post: How long to grill a steak on a charcoal grill – The rule of threes
Step by Step Grilling Instructions
- Place the steak over direct heat for 3 min.
- Flip the steak over for another 3 min of direct heat.
- Remove the steak from direct heat and place it in indirect heat for 3 min.
- Flip the steak over for another 3 min of indirect heat.
- Continue over indirect heat until you have reached your desired internal temperature
More Great Beef Recipes
- Australian Wagyu Denver Steak w/ Thai Style Chimichurri
- Habanero, Onion, and Green Pepper Stuffed Flank Steak
- Texas Style Beef Ribs: Rec Tec Pellet Smoker Recipe
- Pulled Smoked Chuck Roast – BBQ Chuckies
- Smoked Eye Round w/ Beef Au Jus
New York Strip Steaks on a Charcoal Grill!
- Charcoal grill
- Place the steaks over direct heat for 3 min.
- Flip the steaks over for another 3 min of direct heat.
- Remove the steaks from direct heat and place it in indirect heat for 3 min.
- Flip the steaks over for another 3 min of indirect heat.