Subscribe to our newsletter!
This Roasted Carrot Soup brings the heat with Harissa but is balanced out with curry and coconut cream. All of the ingredients come together in a harmonious symphony of deliciousness!
How to Make Carrot Soup
Carrot Soup is a fantastic soup with multiple layers of flavor that will warm you up from head to toe. Roasting the carrots in a Cast Iron Skillet along with the ginger and garlic brings out the natural sweetness and really changes the overall flavor of these simple ingredients. This Carrot soup has a subtle hint of spice from the Harissa that I really enjoy but if you don’t like spice you can easily skip it or substitute roasted red pepper or an extra tbsp of tomato paste. If you do like spice but don’t have Harissa you can use sriracha, chili paste or even a pinch of cayenne pepper to add the heat.
What is Harissa?
Harissa is a Tunisia, North African Condiment that is made from a roasted blend of peppers, spices and garlic mashed into a paste. It can also be found in powder form and is used in all sorts of recipes to add flavor and heat to dishes of all types of cuisine. I have a fantastic Harissa Aioli Recipe that is another great way to use this amazing condiment.
How to Make Yogurt Sauce
The Creamy yogurt sauce is made very simply with just a few ingredients and adds a nice temperature contrast to the hot soup. To make the Yogurt sauce just whisk together unflavored greek yogurt, curry and just enough cream to thin it out so you can pour the sauce. The curry is subtle but combines perfectly with the tangy greek yogurt. This also makes a delicious dipping sauce with grilled tandoori chicken or shrimp.
Is Carrot Soup Keto?
Carrot Soup seems to be controversial in the keto world because of the carb count found in carrots. As a general rule most people that live a ketogenic lifestyle stay below 20-30 net carbohydrates. This soup definitely falls within those macros but uses a large amount of your daily carb allotment. This carrot soup is also very tasty as a sauce over chicken pork and shrimp. Use only a few tablespoons instead of a full 8 oz. portion. I personally feel that all things in moderation. Given the healthy natural ingredients used to make this recipe I think this can be part of a keto diet.
Tips For Making Roasted Carrot Soup
This is a very simple soup to make but there are a few things to make sure you execute correctly. First and probably most important is to make sure the carrots are completely soft. If the carrots are not fully cooked they wont puree smooth and you’ll have chunks in your soup. Find the thickest piece of carrot and press down using a fork. The carrot should be tender like mashed potatoes. If the carrot is still slightly firm just continue cooking until it is completely soft.
I prefer using a Stick Blender instead of using a Traditional Blender. This allows you to puree the soup all at once instead of batches. Make sure the Stick blender is fully submerged in the soup before you start to puree. Otherwise you’ll have quite a mess on your hands. Slowly work the blender around the soup until it feels completely smooth. This should take about 2 minutes. Finally taste the soup and make any final seasoning adjustments. Add salt and pepper as needed. If you want it to be spicier you can add an extra teaspoon harissa. If the soup is too spicy you can add extra coconut cream or a tablespoon of honey to balance out the heat.
More Roasty Recipes to Keep You Warm in the Winter
- Bacon and Smoked Gouda Corn Casserole
- Turkey Pot Pie Stroganoff
- Smoked Apple Crisp
- Skillet Pumpkin Cornbread w/ Bourbon Maple Butter
- Easy Cheesy Smoked Mac & Cheese
- Broccoli Rabe & Beef Heart w/ Orecchiette Pasta
- French Onion Rice & Beans
- Meatball Parmesan Casserole
Roasted Curry Carrot Soup with Yogurt Sauce
- 12 in cast iron skillet
- 32 oz Carrots Peeled
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 bunch Scallions
- 1 head Garlic Peeled (about 12 cloves)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Ginger peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 3 qt Chicken Stock
- 1 can Coconut Cream
- 1 tbsp Harissa
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large cast iron pan toss peeled carrots, garlic cloves, ginger and scallion tops (only the white part) with salt, pepper, curry powder and avocado oil. Roast for about 45 minutes tossing every 15 minutes
- In a pot simmer harissa,tomato paste, chicken stock and coconut cream. After carrots have been roasted add them to the pot along with garlic, scallions and ginger.
- Simmer on low for about 45-60 minutes and carrots are completely soft. Add vinegar and cilantro then purée until smooth. Top with scallions and curry yogurt sauce. For extra smooth soup strain through a fine mesh sieve before serving.